Monday, September 14, 2009

Celebrating 5 years

Kale and I decided to celebrate our 5th anniversary with a weekend getaway. We had his parents come down for the weekend to babysit, and we booked a local B&B. It was a Wine and Roses package, including 2 nights, chocolates, massages and dinner for two. Sounds nice right? We were in the heart of Lancaster county, in an old Farm House. It was a really neat place with lots of history.

Here's where I'm still a little confused. It was our first B&B experience. I guess I had expectations about what I thought it would be like. Our first impression was just weird. It was so strange to be staying in a stranger's home. They were a really nice family, young couple with children. The biggest problem I had was that I felt like I needed to whisper the whole time. If I was quiet, I could hear their conversations. So, I'm sure they could hear us also. The second biggie was the food. I guess what I had expected was a fresh buffet of foods in the morning. When we arrived,the Innkeeper said that our breakfast was already in the room! What? How can that be? Well, apparently, a nice Amish neighbor makes baked goods and these cute little egg casseroles. All we had to do was heat and eat!

Now, I looked at this food in shock. You mean I have to microwave my breakfast?!?! I did take pictures of these surprisingly tasty treats and casseroles. The baked goods were so yummy, we couldn't wait to finish them off in the afternoon. However, when we returned to our tidy room, the treats were gone! Seriously? We did get a replacement later in the evening for our next days breakfast though.

Ok, one more thing. The main reason we chose this particular B&B was because it had an outdoor hot tub. Nice. The weather didn't cooperate for most of the weekend. So, Saturday night after our romantic dinner for two, we were ready to soak! Only to find out that it was cold! Apparently, something happened to the heater and it wouldn't be hot until the next day. As we were checking out!

Now, the good part was the romantic package. The wine, chocolate covered strawberries, dinner reservations (later than we would have like, but delicious), and the massages (oddly scheduled during checkout time, but amazing). We also toured the Julius Sturgis Pretzel factory and Wilbur's Chocolate factory on Saturday afternoon.

It was really nice to get away and spend alone and undistracted time with my husband. I did miss my babies terribly though! I also loved waking up on Sunday morning to the clip-ity-clop of the Amish buggies going to church :) They rode right passed our room. The weather was perfect on Sunday, so lots of Amish and Mennonites were out riding their bikes and walking to church also. My favorite buggy was the one with a little boy looking out the back window of the buggy. He was so cute.

Overall, it was strange, but good. Definitely an adventure and I love a good adventure. I'm already planning my next one. Might even try another B&B, who knows!

Oh yeah, one more thing. While we were at dinner, they snuck in and sprinkled rose petals on our bed and place a hershey's kiss on each pillow. Romantic? However, they stole one of my dozen roses to do that. Weird? or is it just me? All I could think was great, they killed my rose and now i have to clean up the mess! LOL! Maybe I'm just not a B&B kinda girl.

Click on the link to see the pictures :)
http://www5.snapfish.com/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=1991696008/a=39577534_39577534/otsc=SHR/otsi=SALBlink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/

7 comments:

Beth@The Stories of A to Z said...

Um..no. That IS weird! They took one of YOUR roses? I think Lancaster in general is a bit weird. I've stayed at several B&B's and the only one that felt like I was staying in my grandma's house was in Lancaster. Microwaving your food in the morning is also strange. B&B's rock, but it all depends on the place...and the hosts! Glad you were able to have some fun in spite of the weirdness ;). Happy Anniversary!

Anonymous said...

I agree....some of those things are not typical of B&B's....even in Lancaster. Try again sometime! At least now you will know what questions you want to have answered before you go!
Heidi R

Anonymous said...

Robyn,
I'm no expert, but I've been to at least 3 B&B's and I've never nuked my own breakfast! Mark and I recently stayed at one in State College and she made it clear that the room was "our space" and she would not enter it except to change the linens. We have also enjoyed some wonderful stays in Maine and Connecticut in the past. So - try again!!
Holly H.

Robyn said...

thanks ladies! i really was starting to think it was just me! but Kale and I just kept looking at each other like, this is weird! LOl, oh well. i do want to try again.

Promises said...

I have to agree with the other ladies - very weird! I think that one of the things about a B&B is that you will have an amazing homecooked meal! The rose thing is definitely weird too - I would have had the same response as you did!

Promises said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kala said...

Ok, Allen and I are not B&B people. We stayed at one last year and realized that we like to do our own thing at our own time. It does sound interesting though!